Becoming a Member and Payments
1. The start-up payments, the membership plan and the associated upfront lump sum or monthly direct debit membership fees, initial minimum term and payment dates you have chosen are set out in the ‘my membership’ box on the application form. Initial minimum term is the first term of membership, this can be 1, 4 or 12 months. You can cancel your membership for any reason within 10 days of joining. You will not be charged for any usage during this period. Please contact Membership Services directly to request this ([email protected]).
2. If you choose to pay by monthly direct debit (debit taken by St Brelades bay Hotel Ltd). you agree that in consideration for this application to be accepted the minimum period of membership is the number of months you have selected in the ‘my membership’ box. Thereafter, you can only terminate your membership by giving one full calendar month notice in writing ([email protected]). In absence of such notice members who pay by monthly direct debit will have their membership automatically renewed. Members who pay fee as a lump sum will be contacted in writing to renew.
3. You may be able to freeze your membership free of charge for medical, relocation or other legitimate reasons that would prevent you from using our Clubs. A free freeze can be applied, for between 1 and 6 calendar months, as long as you provide us with recently dated acceptable evidence to cover you for the rest of the requested freeze period. If you freeze your membership within your initial minimum term, these ‘frozen months’ do not count towards your initial minimum term. We may decide to increase the fee for freezing your membership. Freezes being on the first of each month, you will need to request the freeze at least 5 working days before this.
4. Memberships can be paid either upfront by lump sum or by monthly direct debit (debit taken by St Brelades bay Hotel Ltd). If you choose to pay your membership monthly by direct debit, there will be an additional charge which will mean the total amount payable for your membership will be greater than if you choose to pay as a lump sum upfront.
5. Members who elect to take the 12-month upfront lump sum plan, where available, will be entitled to 2 months’ free membership in the absence of finance charges i.e., the membership period will cover 14 months.
6. If you are paying by direct debit and you fall behind with your membership fees and this is not caused by a bank error, we may charge reasonable administration fees or suspend or cancel your membership. We may pass your details to a debt collection company to recover any outstanding payments.
7. We may decide to increase our membership fees, but your fees will not increase in your initial minimum term of membership (unless you do not provide ID for a membership type that requires it, for example a student membership). We will give you a minimum of 14 days’ notice of any fee change. If you pay your membership fees up front as a lump sum payment, we will only review your membership fees when your membership is due for renewal.
8. If you join on a corporate rate we may ask for proof of this at anytime during your membership. Failure to produce evidence to entitle you to your rate will mean you are reverted back to a standard membership rate.
Club Access and Tiers
8. We have several club tiers (tier 1 being the highest). The clubs you can use depends on the tier of membership you have chosen. If you have multi-club membership, you can use the clubs within your membership tier and in any tier below. If you have single-club membership, you can only use your home club. Clubs may change tier over time, but you can see a full up-to-date list of all our clubs and their tiers on our website. Before joining, please make sure you are aware of all the membership options and which club (or clubs) your membership allows you to use, including club tiers and access times.
9. You must join the club you will use most often (your home club). If, over a two-month period, you use another club more than your home club, we have the right to transfer your membership to the club you use most often, and this may affect your membership fees.
10. Once a member, you will need to download our Fitness First APP to access the check in functionality.
11. You must swipe in at each visit by scanning your unique identifier via the barcode available through the Fitness First APP or your membership card provided when you join.
Freeze your Membership
12. You may be able to freeze your membership free of charge for medical, relocation or other legitimate reasons that would prevent you from using our Clubs. A free freeze can be applied, for between 1 and 6 calendar months, as long as you provide us with recently dated acceptable evidence to cover you for the rest of the requested freeze period.
13. If you freeze your membership within your initial minimum term, these ‘frozen months’ do not count towards your initial minimum term. We may decide to increase the fee for freezing your membership.
14. If you decide to cancel your membership whilst on freeze, the cancellation fees will still apply.
Cancel your Membership
15. You can request to cancel your membership by giving one calendar months notice, by email to [email protected]. We will send you confirmation by email once we have processed your cancellation. Please tell us if you do not receive this.
16. You can cancel your membership at any time if your circumstances change to such an extent that we are satisfied it is not possible for you to continue to use your home club’s facilities (for example, due to medical reasons, if you are made redundant).
17. To cancel your membership for medical reasons, you will need to give us notice and provide the documents we ask for as proof of the change in your circumstances. During the initial membership term, you must continue to pay your membership fees each month until you have provided the evidence requested and we are satisfied with it. Upon receipt of your documents, your membership will be cancelled prior to your next monthly direct debit being collected. We will refund any fees you have paid up front as a lump sum membership for the period that has not yet passed once your cancellation has taken effect.
18. To cancel your membership for a non-medical change in circumstances (for example, you are made redundant or move to an area which is more than 5 miles from your home club) you must provide suitable proof of your change in circumstance. During the initial membership term, you must continue to pay your membership fees each month until you have provided evidence of your change in circumstance, and we are satisfied with it. Upon receipt of your documents, your membership will be cancelled prior to your next monthly direct debit being collected. We will refund any fees you have paid up front as a lump sum membership for the period that has not yet passed once your cancellation has taken effect
19. We can cancel your membership if: you have seriously broken the club rules or any terms of this contract; you do not pay any fee or charge within seven days of the date it was due, and we have written to you and given you a further 14 days to pay (so the fee or charge is more than 21 days late); your home club permanently closes (if this happens, we will refund any membership fees you have paid upfront for the period of membership that has not yet been completed); or for any other reason if we consider it necessary to end your contract.
20. If you pay your membership fees upfront in one single lump sum, your membership will automatically end once you have completed this term (2), unless you choose to renew your membership.
21. Members must be 16 or older.
22. You agree to provide a recent photograph for the purposes of your membership and to comply with our ‘Gym Rules’, which is displayed in your club and online, and extends to opening hours, use of facilities and your conduct. We may change our gym rules if we feel this is reasonably necessary.
23. There may be occasions where we have to close all, or part of, the gym where you train. In such circumstances, you will not be entitled to any partial or full refund. We will endeavour to advise you in advance where possible unless the issue is urgent or an emergency. Where possible we will try to ensure that any such closures are in off peak hours and are kept to a minimum.
24. We will not be liable for or responsible for any failure to perform any of our obligations under this agreement which are caused by any event that is outside our reasonable control.
25. Our staff, agents and subcontractors are not medically qualified so if you have any doubts about your fitness or capability to exercise, we strongly recommend that you get advice from a doctor first. Please be aware that our swimming pools are not under constant supervision. If you have a medical condition that may affect your safety or wellbeing, we strongly advise you are accompanied whilst swimming. For safety reasons, you are responsible for correctly using all club facilities and reading club signs and agree to keep to the conditions in the Member Health Pledge, which is available in our clubs and online. We strongly advise that all members complete an induction to the gym, and you should ask for one if we do not offer you one. If you are not sure how to use any equipment, always ask a member of staff.
26. We can transfer all or any part of our rights or responsibilities under this contract to another organisation, but this will not affect your rights under the contract.
27. Clubs operated under the ‘Fitness First’ brand are owned and operated by Fitness First Clubs Limited (company number 03207791) which is a company registered in England and Wales.
28. If you have any questions or if you have any complaints, please contact us on [email protected]
29. We can make reasonable changes to these terms and conditions at any time. Additional terms and conditions might be agreed on specific membership types e.g., corporate, partnerships, promotions etc. Such terms will be shown in conjunction with any offer or agreement and may supersede these terms which will be agreed in writing.
30. Personal trainers at our club are self-employed and any service they provide is a contract between them and you.
31. We will not be liable to you for any loss, damage or theft of any property you bring onto the premises which happens while the property is not locked away in a locker.